Speech Melody Meter (SMM)
The SpeechMelodyMeter (SMM) software is designed to evaluate the
statistical characteristics of speech melody by constructing histograms
of the frequency distribution of occurrence of discrete values of the
pitch frequency (F0) over sufficiently long speech intervals.
A distinctive feature of the software implementation of SMM is that the
discrete values F0 of speech are measured only at intervals of vowels,
which makes it possible to identify the most significant parts of the F0
trajectory for perception and at the same time avoid a number of artifacts
that occur at intervals of consonants and pauses.
SMM has a wide range of options for choosing linear scales for constructing
histograms used in the analysis of speech melody characteristics, namely:
the range of analyzed frequencies
- F0min and F0max, as well as frequency resolution
- dF0. The choice of specific values of these parameters determines the
number of histogram components - Nc.
SMM also implements a method for estimating three important parameters of
the histogram: the center of "gravity" of the distribution - C, the effective
band - B, and the distribution skewness - A.
Areas of use
The use of SMM can be useful in the following practically important cases:
- In scientific research of the expressive function of melodics, expressing
personal characteristics of speech intonation, which determines the originality,
style, expressiveness and normativity of speech, as well as the subjective
attitude to the content of the message or to the interlocutor by expressing
various types of emotions;
- For individual training in preparing speeches and presentations for self-control
and teaching the desired characteristics of speech melody;
- As a means of self-control to eliminate speech defects associated with various
physiological disorders and diseases;
- As a means of monitoring speech intonation in real conditions of work of call
center operators, radio and television announcers;
- Of particular interest is the use of the developed SMM program to control
changes in personal characteristics of speech melody - one of the important
indicators of a person's emotional intelligence.